Featured Post

I'm a Guilty Reader // Tag Tuesday

Saturday, August 12, 2017

4 Questions that I Have for Contemporary Books!

Hello! Way back in the day (aka April lol), I made a post called 4 Questions that I Have for Fantasy Books! and not only did I REALLY love making that post as it was so much fun, but you guys enjoyed it as well! So, I decided to make a sort-of-sequel to it for contemporary. Before I get into the list, I'd just like to say that most of these will be generalizations and stretches and totally hyperbolic, not ALL contemporaries are like this. Obviously.


~


WHY ARE ALL YOUR MCs THE SAME?

Let's be honest. A lot of main characters in contemporary novels are very similar: the nerd who's never had a boyfriend before, but then something big happens like they move or go to college or something and true love ensues. Once again, many contemporaries do not in fact have this, but I'm just saying that a TON of them do.

WHY IS IT SO EASY TO FALL IN LOVE?

I demand justice. WHY CAN'T IT BE THIS EASY IN REAL LIFE? WHY CAN'T I FIND MY SOULMATE AT AGE SIXTEEN? HUH? WHY?

WHY IS AMNESIA SO CONVENIENT?

This is so annoying. Whenever the main character, typically a girl in this case, somehow becomes amnesic, she literally remembers nothing. Obviously. Because that's how amnesia works. But no. She remembers nothing except for either her boyfriend, or the boy she was in love with (and then the two fall in love, of course).

WHAT'S WITH THE WHOLE NO-BISEXUALITY THING?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of books with bi main characters that most of the time get pretty good rep. The thing is, there are a sad amount of books where the character is so sure they're straight, and then they develop feelings for someone of the same gender and they're like "Well, I guess I'm gay." like yes, I do realize that that can happen sometimes and it turns into you're not into the opposite sex after all, but usually it doesn't mean that.


~


And that's all for now! If you enjoyed this post please let me know in the comments which genre I should do next in this series as I really like doing these. Thanks for reading, and don't forget to subscribe! Bye!!

No comments: