Featured Post

I'm a Guilty Reader // Tag Tuesday

Saturday, April 22, 2017

What my Rating System is Like (+ Examples!)

Hey guys! So, I originally saw this video from Cece (from Problemsofabooknerd, I'd be surprised if you haven't checked her out yet, and if you haven't you definitely should!) and I thought it was a really awesome idea, so I'll be doing my own version of it today (I'll be going from bottom upwards)!

**I know everyone hates the disclaimer but I have to put it: when I add my examples, there's no need to hate me because I didn't like a book you liked or because I liked a book you didn't like. We're all entitled to our own opinons and it's awesome.

ONE-STAR

A one-star read for me means that I absolutely, positively HATED this book to hell and back. I could not find a single thing about it that I enjoyed, or maybe there was one little thing that I liked, but the rest of it was just so fucking horrible that it still got a one-star.

Examples: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

ONE AND A HALF STARS

A 1.5-star book is very rare for me, because if I am really not enjoying a book, it's probably going to be pretty hard to find something that I actually enjoyed, but I did, and that's why I gave the book 1.5 stars.

Examples: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon, The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles

TWO STARS

If I rate a book two stars, it probably means that the book definitely wasn't the greatest. I didn't end up enjoying most of it, but maybe there was one element (i.e., the writing, the characters, the plot, etc.) that I did like, but pretty much, I wasn't the biggest fan of it.

Examples: Bone Gap by Laura Ruby, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

TWO AND A HALF STARS

For me, a 2.5-star book isn't very much different than a two-star book. Usually, when I rate something 2.5-stars, something like "I liked the writing, but I didn't like the plot or characters excpept for one." Or "I liked the characters, but I wasn't a huge fan of the writing or the plot except for around page 300."

Examples: The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau, The Call by Peadar O'Guilin

THREE STARS

I always find three-star reads harder to explain and review, because they're just right in the middle. Personally, there's not much better of an explanation for a three-star book than "meh." It wasn't exactly good, but it wasn't bad either.

Examples: Paper Towns by John Green, City of Saints And Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson

THREE AND A HALF STARS

A 3.5-star read in my book is pretty damn good. It was really, really close to a four-star, but there was something holding me back from giving it that. Maybe it a was a plot-drag, maybe it was a character I didn't like, I don't know.

Examples: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, Legend by Marie Lu

FOUR STARS

A four-star rating is my most commonly-used rating, which I would think is a good thing, because four-stars are great! A super solid read that I will for sure keep on my shelf and maybe even reread. But there was just SOMETHING that made me NOT give it a five-star.

Examples: To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han, The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid

FOUR AND A HALF STARS

Whoo-ee, this book was so fuckin' good! Like oh my God I just loved this book so MUCH!!
But.
There was just some teeny tiny thing that stopped me from giving it a five-star. If this were me a little while ago, I probably would've just given it five stars, but now I'm a lot more picky and critical.

Examples: Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, George by Alex Gino

FIVE STARS

OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. I ABSOLUTELY ADORED THIS BOOK WITH ALL MY HEART. I EITHER CANNOT FIND ANY FLAWS OR THERE IS ONE FLAW, BUT THE REST OF IT IS JUST SO FUCKING GOOD THAT I STILL GIVE IT FIVE STARS.
This is definitely a book that sticks with me and is most likely a favorite.

Examples: Wonder by R.J. Palacio, A List of Cages by Robin Roe


And that's it for now! Tell me anything about your own rating system in the comments below. I hope you enjoyed, and thanks for reading! Bye guys!

No comments: