Featured Post

I'm a Guilty Reader // Tag Tuesday

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Interview with Hannah Bucchin, Author of Paintbrush!

Hey guys!! This post will be my first author interview on my blog, and I am happy to kick it off with Hannah Bucchin, the author of Paintbrush, which was released on July eleventh.
Also, there was one question that ended up having spoilers in the answer, so I'm not including it in the post. But, if you've read the book (which you TOTALLY SHOULD DO if you haven't) leave a comment saying that you'd like to see the question & answer and I'll reply to your comment with it.
Before I get into the interview, I'd like to thank Netgalley for allowing this to happen.


~


Syd: When did you realize that you wanted to be an author/what made you want to be an author?

HB: I've loved writing since the first grade, and I've been writing ever since! I think the biggest influence on my love of writing has been my love of reading. I've been an avid reader since elementary school, and at some point my love of reading amazing stories translated into a dream to write amazing stories.


Syd: What inspired you to write Paintbrush?

HB: Paintbrush is a story inspired by place and setting - specifically, the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina where I now live. The first few times I visited the area, I was struck by the unique culture of this place: hippie and country all rolled into one. The setting of Paintbrush was imagined during one of my visits, and the characters and story all took shape from there.


Syd: How long did it take to write Paintbrush?

HB: It took me five months to finish the first draft from start to finish, and then the publishing, rewriting, and editing process took roughly another year to complete.


Syd: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

HB: Start writing now! If there's an idea you've been tossing around or a story you just can't get out of your head, don't wait - sit down every day and start writing, even if it's only for ten minutes a day. If you wait until you have more time, or your schedule is less busy, or inspiration strikes, you might be waiting forever.


Syd: What's your writing process like?
HB: I try to write a rough outline with a distinct beginning scene, middle scene, and ending scene. I usually sketch out further details as well, but those always end up changing. Then, I start! For me, so much of the story comes to me while I'm writing. The best thing for me to do is sit down and write.


Syd: What's the first book that made you cry?

HB: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. (You know what I'm talking about.)


Syd: What's your writing Kryptonite?

HB: THE INTERNET. I'm sure every writer can relate. Or anyone who has ever tried to accomplish anything ever. I turn off my wifi when I write - otherwise I'll get sucked into looking at my sister's friend's cousin's wedding pictures on Instagram, or reading Blake Lively's entire wikipedia page, or watching videos of pugs trying to swim, or any number of other totally useless things.


Syd: If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?

HB: Just keep going! There are so many projects I've started and then stopped halfway through because I decided it wasn't good enough. I'd tell my younger writing self that rewriting and editing are always options - but you can't rewrite and edit something unless you finish your first draft. (This is actually good advice for my present-day writing self as well.)


Syd: What is your favorite under-appreciated book?

HB: When people talk about Sarah Dessen, they most often talk about The Truth About Forever, Just Listen, Along for the Ride, etc. And those books are all amazing. But I don't hear people often talk about Keeping the Moon, which is one of my favorites. So much of that book is about confidence and learning to see yourself in a positive light. I first read it in high school when I really needed to hear those messages so it's always resonated strongly with me. And it definitely doesn't get enough love!


Syd: How do you think of names for your characters?

HB: Usually, when I'm imagining a character, a name will just come to me and stick. It's not that I pick my favorite names or name my characters after real-life people or anything - it's more that once I imagine a name for a certain character, it's practically impossible to imagine them as anything else.


Syd: Do you read reviews for your own books? If so, how do you deal with bad or good ones?

HB: I read all the reviews! I like to know if people connected to the story. Even the bad ones can be helpful (usually). And I try not to let bad reviews get me down - like every book, Paintbrush is not for everyone!


Syd: Do you ever Google yourself?

HB: Occasionally! However, the results are not usually very exciting. But maybe that's a good thing.


Syd: What is your favorite childhood novel?

HB: Too many to choose! Harry Potter series, Ella Enchanted, the Alice books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, Matilda by Roald Dahl, and Because of Winn-Dixie were some of my very favorites.


~


And that's all for now! Again, I'd like to thank Netgalley and Hannah for giving me the opportunity to do this. Like I said earlier, if you've read the book leave a comment saying you'd like to see the question & answer, and I'll reply to your comment with it. Make sure you get yourself a copy of and read Paintbrush!! Bye guys!

No comments: